Under is a information written by Matthew Whyte, 2022 Summer season Advertising Intern at HubSpot. By means of interviews with recruiters at HubSpot, Matthew developed this useful resource to supply perception into the internship interview course of and what they suggest to reach getting an internship. For reference, Recruiters advocate for candidates and function the purpose of contact for open roles.
HubSpot affords Advertising, Gross sales, Folks Operations, Engineering, and Affiliate Product Administration (APM) internships. Whereas the following tips come from HubSpot’s recruiters, they may apply to interview processes at different tech corporations.
Advertising – Kate Kearns
The Course of
- 1st spherical: In case you go the resume/software assessment, you’ll be invited to file a quick asynchronous video. You should have roughly 5-6 minutes to submit a video recording whereby you reply just a few prompted questions with 2 minutes for every query. That is extraordinarily much like the format of different platforms like Hirevue. The video will ask questions like “Inform me about your self” or “Why are you curious about this position?”
- 2nd spherical: In case you go the video interview stage, you’ll be invited to a 30-minute cellphone interview with the recruiter. It is a behavioral interview to find out if you’re a superb match for the corporate the place you’ll reply questions like “Why HubSpot?” or “Inform me a few time you labored on a workforce.”
- Ultimate spherical: The recruiter will invite you to a few or 4 30-minute Zoom conversations with HubSpot staff throughout the Advertising division. Your conversations will give attention to behavioral questions and how one can add to the Advertising Division’s workforce tradition. You need to be ready to reply questions like “Why HubSpot?” or “Why Advertising?” in addition to situational questions in order that interviewers can acquire perception into the way you assume. Understand that these conversations are a two-way road the place you’re additionally studying extra about HubSpot to tell your resolution about whether or not or not you need to work right here.
- Ensure that to do your analysis beforehand. You need to have a superb understanding of what the corporate does. Moreover, keep away from regurgitating the Google search outcomes, and as an alternative, supply your personal tackle the corporate’s companies in a sentence or two. A superb place to start out is the Investor Relations web site, which may give you an thought of how the corporate works.
- Be ready for the interview. Odds are the recruiter will ask you questions like “Why this firm?” or “Why this position?” so you have to to know the way you assume you may make a novel contribution to the Advertising workforce. You want to show real curiosity within the firm and be capable to clarify what you need to get out of the expertise.
- Understand that the HubSpot advertising internship is for anybody involved in advertising. Earlier than you begin the internship, you’ll undergo a placement course of for a selected workforce/position that aligns along with your pursuits and targets. The interviews are a superb alternative to study in regards to the totally different advertising groups and present the kind of work you’re aiming for. Earlier than your interviews, analysis the advertising group and among the groups.
Engineering – Angie D’Alli
The Course of
- 1st spherical: In case you go the resume and software assessment, you’ll be invited to finish a technical evaluation that can check your coding capacity. These shall be typical software program engineering questions throughout tech corporations testing your information in regards to the fundamentals of information buildings, algorithms, and software program structure.
- 2nd spherical: Your recruiter will schedule a 15~30 minute cellphone name to debate the position with you and ask numerous behavioral questions. Additionally, you will be capable to ask questions relating to the corporate, position, timeline, and so on.
- Ultimate spherical: The engineering workforce will host a ~ 2-hour technical interview. The first hour will give attention to coding, whereas the 2nd hour is particular to back-end or front-end work. Your recruiter will schedule a preparation name beforehand that can assist you higher perceive the interview course of and reply any questions you will have.
- For software program engineering, the recruiter is in search of college students who’re concerned in extracurriculars, demonstrating that you’re attempting to get entangled on campus. These actions could be something that pursuits you, just like the robotics membership.
- Private coding tasks are tremendous vital, particularly for many who don’t have lots of expertise. This may be one thing like an internet instrument that can assist you register for courses.
- The recruiter desires to see that you could adapt and study out of your errors. You possibly can present this by making ready for behavioral questions like “Inform me a few time you made a mistake” or “Inform me a few time once you missed a deadline.”
Gross sales – Chrissy Damasco, Viennie Chathachack
The Course of
- 1st spherical: Within the first spherical, you will have a 15~30 minute cellphone interview with a recruiter. This cellphone name will give attention to match by means of behavioral questions, which clue your recruiter into the way you act in particular skilled conditions. These could be questions like “Inform me about your self” or “Why this position?”
- Ultimate spherical: You should have a video interview with the hiring supervisor for roughly half-hour~1 hour. This name shall be a extra in-depth model of your first spherical in order that the supervisor can collect extra perception into how you may add to the Gross sales workforce and your work ethic.
- You need to present that you’re aggressive and like to work in direction of targets. Athletes are an ideal instance as a result of they love to attain targets. Moreover, competing in case competitions is one other strategy to present that you’re aggressive.
- The gross sales workforce is all about having the ability to ask inquiries to establish the shoppers’ wants. To that finish, asking considerate inquiries to the individuals who interview you is essential as a result of you may present the way you method problem-solving.
- Gross sales roles are prevalent at any firm, so make your responses as particular to HubSpot as doable.
Product Administration (APM) – Chantal Verdugo
The Course of
- 1st spherical: In case you go the resume and software assessment, you’ll be invited to a name with the recruiter to evaluate match. Your recruiter will schedule a 15~30 minute cellphone name to debate the position with you and ask numerous behavioral questions. Additionally, you will be capable to ask questions relating to the corporate, position, timeline, and so on.
- 2nd spherical: After the primary spherical, you’ll have a 30-minute cellphone interview with a HubSpot Product Supervisor. This interview will embrace behavioral questions.
- Ultimate spherical: The recruiter will invite you to a few 30-minute Zoom conversations with HubSpot staff working within the Product division. Your discussions will give attention to product and behavioral questions. There may also be a case examine throughout the second interview with matters akin to defining a buyer section.
- Doing all of your homework is tremendous vital, particularly in APM. No matter firm you’re making use of for, it is advisable know the product as finest as doable. Product information exhibits the recruiter you’re ready and care in regards to the product at hand.
- Ask difficult questions in your interviews. Working in APM entails heavy drawback fixing that necessitates asking difficult inquiries to get to the answer.
- The easiest way to organize to work in Product is to work on many various tasks. Having numerous tasks lets you acquire expertise from totally different angles at totally different phases of the product life cycle.
Folks Operations – Kate Kearns
The Course of
- The method follows the advertising internship recruiting course of, besides you’ll interview with Folks Operations staff.
- You need to present that you’ve got robust folks expertise and may work together with folks. You possibly can reveal this by discussing your on-campus involvement and expertise in group tasks.
- Have the ability to articulate your involvement in extracurriculars. Showcase organizational and occasion planning expertise to reveal that you’ve got robust communication expertise.
- Present a pure curiosity in your resume by articulating the way you’ve gotten concerned in several actions. Take into consideration how you’d develop your perspective on campus.
I hope you discovered this interview information useful as you put together for internship recruiting. You may have an thrilling journey forward of you! For additional recommendation, I’ve linked some extra sources that I’ve personally used beneath that can assist you all through the recruiting course of.
Go to HubSpot’s pupil careers web page to study extra about upcoming intern and co-op alternatives.